/* This is where the background behind the title goes */
Currently in Novosibirsk:
Click for Novosibirsk, Russia Forecast
Novosibirsk Webcams
?
?
Our visitors:
Locations of visitors to this page
Maybe we should start a cult
Friday, September 29, 2006
We have two of our close friends that have also adopted internationally. Interestingly enough, one of those friends who I use to work with shot me an email the other day saying they had heard from another one of the people in our old work group and that she too had just recently adopted from Russia.

She just got back a few months ago with an absolutely beautiful daughter, who ironically looks just like her (it's funny how that sometimes happens). Anyway, we traded a few emails and she asked that I give her a ring to catch up and talk about the whole adoption thing. She's one of a rare breed of people that are just truly nice and genuinely helpful (but thankfully also very funny and like me enjoys a sarcastic joke).

So we talked for quite awhile about how her adoption went and I also picked her brain on a few things. She highly recommended her IA doctor (International Adoption doctor). And Stef and I wanted to have two just in case we couldn't contact one (always have a backup plan). Anyway, I'll discuss the whole doctor thing in a separate post.

We've now got three friends all who have adopted internationally within the last year. It's been and will continue to be a great resource for us. Things change so much especially in Russia that having people that were just there is huge. There are just things you can't get in a book or on the web. Things that you really have to ask someone face to face and even more so, things that you may not feel comfortable asking a stranger.
posted by Steveg @ 10:38 AM  
3 Comments:
  • At 6:20 AM, Blogger Melissa said…

    I wish I had friends that had recently adopted. I am the first of my group to adopt. I meet people occasionally that know someone or who did it eons ago, but you know things change month to month around here. That is such a great resource.

     
  • At 5:40 PM, Blogger Rhonda said…

    What a great support system you'll have as the kids grow up. You'll be dealing with similar issues as the kids grow, and it will be great to bounce ideas off one another.

     
  • At 5:39 PM, Blogger Jenni said…

    I also had no friends who had adopted from Russia (only China), so we navigated the process on our own. The Russian adoption community on the internet was our biggest source of information.

    What I have noticed since bringing the kids home is how large of a Russian community we have in our area. I hear people speaking Russian everywhere now, and have met several families from Russia at the park. By adopting Russian kids, we've sort of been adopted into this Russian community. I know there are a lot of Russian immigrants in your area as well, so maybe you might find the same thing happening one you bring your child home?

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Us

Contributors:

steveg

yorkiemom


Our Story:

I'm Steve and this is my wife Stefanie. This is our story, mostly seen through my eyes, of the journey to create our family by adopting a child from Russia.

The Great Snowsuit Swap
Donate your old snowsuits or other one time use items to other adoptive parents at:
?
Previous Post
Archives
Powered by

?


Original template design by Isnaini Dot Com
Thoughts

"The two greatest obstacles to democracy in the United States are, first, the widespread delusion among the poor that we have a democracy, and second, the chronic terror among the rich, lest we get it."

Edward Dowling