/* This is where the background behind the title goes */
Currently in Novosibirsk:
Click for Novosibirsk, Russia Forecast
Novosibirsk Webcams
?
?
Our visitors:
Locations of visitors to this page
It's official...268 (actually 654) is done.
Thursday, November 09, 2006
This is actually going to be a 2-fer post today. I didn't get a chance to post about (as Stef calls it) my Ladies Lunch and I wanted to highlight info about 268 (which by the way is now no longer called 268 since it was completely rewritten).

But first my Ladies Lunch.

I believe I had mention that we have a number of good friends who have recently gone through international adoption (some from Russia and some from Guatemala). Two of them I use to work with when I was at Sun Microsystems back in B.B.S. (Before Becoming a Slacker). Well the three of us had lunch the other day and I was mentioning to Stef that it was really great because we discussed a lot of parenting issues.

Since I was the only male in the group, Stef is calling it My Ladies Lunch. And that's just fine with me. Being a typical male, I'm perfectly happy sitting around talking with beautiful and intelligent women. We're actually going to try to do this every month which is going to great for my currently non-existent parenting skills.

Now some more detail on 268.

Firstly it is no longer 268 and now Government Decision #654. It was suppose to be officially announced next week but shock of shocks it was posted on the MOE's website today. Here's the full thing (in Russian of course). You can use one of the many online translators, if you have a Mac here's a great widget that when you type in a site's url it automatically kicks out translations using two of the top online sites (Babel Fish and Google).

One of the two Great Jim's (it was Jim not to be confused with Jim_in_PA the other great Jim) wrote up a summary on FRUA of the changes this new 654 has in it. The most interesting is a lack of a duration for accreditation. In 268 it clearly stated that accreditations were valid for a one year period; however, in 654 there is no duration mentioned. And from an amateur's knowledge of legal principles, no duration specified means unlimited duration.

This of course is fantastic news. First it means accreditation or reaccreditation will not become an annual hurdle that (as it has done so often in the past) added long delays to adoptions (many of which were just waiting for the final okay). Additionally, it should also lower the expenses agencies have had to incur every year and that may actually lower the costs of adoption. Of course Stef and I are very well off and the costs are relatively inconsequential to us. But I'm very disappointed that the expense of adoption keeps a lot of potentially great parents from having the opportunity to adopt.
posted by Steveg @ 11:11 AM  
3 Comments:
  • At 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    AWESOME! And thank you for your post.

    Question: Our agency is currently accredited until April 11, 2007. Does this new law become effective immediately and therefore all accredited agencies are good to go? Or will they need to reapply "one more time" when their accreditation runs out? (Runs out under the old law, that is...)
    Ryan

     
  • At 2:58 PM, Blogger Steveg said…

    Of course I'm not an expert, but I believe accrediations are valid until they expire regardless of 654. It just spells out "How" to get accrediated in the future. So I would think that your agency gets to carry on (assuming they have NGO) until next April and then will have to follow 654 to get reaccredited.

     
  • At 4:53 PM, Blogger Jim said…

    Hey Steve, thanks for the plug about my writeup on the FRUA forum. Exciting news, isn't it? Here's hoping the agencies can get accredited quickly.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Us

Contributors:

steveg

yorkiemom


Our Story:

I'm Steve and this is my wife Stefanie. This is our story, mostly seen through my eyes, of the journey to create our family by adopting a child from Russia.

The Great Snowsuit Swap
Donate your old snowsuits or other one time use items to other adoptive parents at:
?
Previous Post
Archives
Powered by

?


Original template design by Isnaini Dot Com
Thoughts

"The two greatest obstacles to democracy in the United States are, first, the widespread delusion among the poor that we have a democracy, and second, the chronic terror among the rich, lest we get it."

Edward Dowling