/* This is where the background behind the title goes */
Currently in Novosibirsk:
Click for Novosibirsk, Russia Forecast
Novosibirsk Webcams
?
?
Our visitors:
Locations of visitors to this page
Cell Phone Etiquette
Monday, June 11, 2007
Since my last post on the adventures of describing the hygiene habits of fellow drivers during my daily commute was fairly successful, here's another one for you all. I'd love your opinion on this happening in my daily life.

What is proper cell phone etiquette when you are in a public restroom, specifically at work? Personally, I don't even take the phone with me at work as I have absolutely no intention of using the phone while I'm in the restroom.

However, my experience earlier today had me baffled. The woman in the stall next to mine made an outgoing phone call. This brought up a couple of issues. Couldn't the call have waited a few more minutes? What is so urgent that the call has to be placed right that minute? Couldn't you plan your bio break around mandatory phone calls? Isn't that part of being a professional - managing your time?

This brings up my second point, she's just started her phone call and I was ready to leave. Do you flush and say to heck with it? Do you hang out for a while and see if it's a quick phone call? Does it make a difference that I know her fairly well?
posted by yorkiemom @ 3:43 PM  
6 Comments:
  • At 5:50 PM, Blogger Jim said…

    While I can safely say that I have never made a phone call from a restroom stall, if confronted with this situation, I would just flush and go about my business. It's not a phone booth; if she wanted privacy without background noise she should have ducked into an unused conference room or office, or perhaps gone outside to her car.

    By the way, my comments apply only to the men's room. Never been in a ladies room, and never intend to. :)

     
  • At 6:05 PM, Blogger Deb said…

    I agree with Jim; flush and go. I don't much care for people talking to you in the next stall either. There are doors and walls for a reason!
    I don't think knowing her makes any difference in what I would do.

     
  • At 3:36 PM, Blogger Rhonda said…

    I say flush. Maybe that will make her think twice about placing a call from the bathroom. That's just crazy.

     
  • At 10:36 AM, Blogger Rachael said…

    Maybe she wasn't really using the bathroom....just going in there to sneak a break and use the phone? Who knows. I hope she wasn't talking and peeing/whatever. Maybe you flushing would jolt her back into reality and emphasize the ick factor.

     
  • At 6:39 PM, Blogger Esther said…

    When we were in a US airport coming home from Russia to adopt our daughter, a woman was in the toilet next to me, using her cell phone. The caller asked her where she was. The lady next to me said "oh, I'm in baggage claim".

    Excuse me? And why are we on the phone when going tinkle?

    I think it's ridiculous to use the phone in the bathroom. Give me a break. She did not HAVE to be on the phone at that moment; I could tell by the contents of the call.

    I flushed the toilet, laughed, and left.

     
  • At 11:39 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Yes flush, how weird. Cell phones are just TOO ubiquitous! I haven't checked the blog for a few days, and here you have each written something. Happens every time I forget to look.
    Love, Mother

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Us

Contributors:

steveg

yorkiemom


Our Story:

I'm Steve and this is my wife Stefanie. This is our story, mostly seen through my eyes, of the journey to create our family by adopting a child from Russia.

The Great Snowsuit Swap
Donate your old snowsuits or other one time use items to other adoptive parents at:
?
Previous Post
Archives
Powered by

?


Original template design by Isnaini Dot Com
Thoughts

"The two greatest obstacles to democracy in the United States are, first, the widespread delusion among the poor that we have a democracy, and second, the chronic terror among the rich, lest we get it."

Edward Dowling