/* This is where the background behind the title goes */
Currently in Novosibirsk:
Click for Novosibirsk, Russia Forecast
Novosibirsk Webcams
?
?
Our visitors:
Locations of visitors to this page
Purchase of the Week
Friday, July 06, 2007
I had hinted once the reaccreditation thing was real it meant our self imposed constraint on buying toys and things for the kid-to-be would be thrown out the window.

Well accreditation is here so let the buying spree begin!

I still neeed to post some interior shots of the last Purchase of the Week (our new minivan) or as Dede cleverly called it the Little Utility Vehicle (LUV). Especially of our dog in his, yes, dog seat (kinda like a child seat but for the four legged little ones). Naturally the minivan is more like a Purchase of the Year since we don't plan on spending quite that much on a weekly basis. As those who know me well will attest, the name "Steve" is synonymous with the word "Cheap". So let me tread on with the next installment of the POW. We got it from Costco online.

Really Steve? You bought something from Costco, how surprising.

Yes, well it's actually from Costco.com so don't look for it at your local Costco and find it on their website instead. As you can see it's foam play mat set. It was a screaming deal for $32.99 (shipping included, see there's the cheap thing coming out again).

?


?


I had been looking at these for quite awhile since this room in which you see in the background has wood floors. We had used it as a library when we first moved into the house. Of course now it's serving a much more important and fancy purpose as a place to store the Christmas tree and things I need to sell on Craigslist.

It's a pretty cool little area that we had thought of making into a play area first and then maybe in a few years have some built-in shelving done (bookshelves, a desk, etc.) and make into a little studying area.

The foam mat sets are very cool and this one was just a great price for a coverage area of 36 square feet (each square is 12" x 12" and there are both numbers and letters of the alphabet so 36 total). It also comes with a 50 small foam building blocks toy set so it's a pretty sweet deal.

I had been looking at these foam mats for awhile with prices in the $2-$5 per square foot range. Hence the great deal on this set at $32.99 for 36 sq. ft. I wanted to have something there so that they don't hurt themselves on the hard wood floors.

Yes, you may begin laughing at me now.

Stef said to me, "You realize they're going to be outside playing on concrete and stuff?" So of course I shot back, "Yea you're right. Okay, maybe we should spray that foam rubber insulation stuff all over the concrete areas backyard."

Please feel free to continue laughing at me.

Now this is coming from a guy who in high school use to play tackle football every weekend without any pads or a helmet. In fact when I first met Stefanie I had six stitches above my right eye (and a major shiner) from an collision I had from a pick-up basketball game (this was while we were in college).

And now I'm worried that my child might get a boo-boo from falling onto a wood floor. Yep, the times they are a' changing.
posted by Steveg @ 9:17 AM  
9 Comments:
  • At 10:58 AM, Blogger Rhonda said…

    OK, Steve, I must have missed this in your earlier posts. Are you adopting more than one child?

    I had a similar floor mat in Clyde's room. But it made car and train noises when you stepped on certain blocks. After two nights of stepping on those stupid things while carrying a sleeping child, the batteries were promptly removed. But Clyde loved them. He took them apart and played with them quite a bit.

     
  • At 11:41 AM, Blogger Steveg said…

    As I read through your comment, I said "Way cool sound! I gotta get those."

    Then I continued to read the rest of the comment and realized, "Oy Vey, sound."

    :)

    And Stef and I are going for just one child now. We'll see how well we survive that before making any decisions on adding more to the posse.

     
  • At 12:30 PM, Blogger Jim said…

    Sound toys are cool for parents only for about 5 minutes or so.

    My daughter actually still believes that when the batteries in a sound toy expire, that's it. The toy will never make a sound again.

    I figure I'll let her in on the secret in about 13 years, when she's, say, 18.

     
  • At 8:28 PM, Blogger A Room to Grow said…

    I found it funny that you were pricing out the foam mats per sq ft. Nice to see a dad so into child prep activities!

     
  • At 5:06 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Oh those foam letter mats are great, I just hope you don't think that they will actually stay on the floor. We have had a set for years and my 10 year old (yes, 10) still loves to play with them. He builds forts or cars or trains or whatever the imaginative boy mind can think up. They are really more fun 3 dimensionally than they are 2 dimensionally. But what a great purchase. You will get lots of years of fun out of them. Let's see, if you use them for 10 years like we have then they will only have cost you $3.29 per year! Hee, hee. :)

     
  • At 5:54 AM, Blogger Deb said…

    Great buy. To feed your cheap hobby. Have you ever checked out www.fishingfordeals.com The best place to look for deals online.

    That's great that you're so protective. Dave laughes at me all the time when I tell him what I need to fix around our place.

     
  • At 10:39 AM, Blogger adoptedthree said…

    Hey Cheap is good-- I hope LOL

    I am cheap cheap cheap but I am proud of it and that is all that matters!

    Cool styrofoamies. My kids would have them torn in two within the second hour!!

    Glad you are on your way. What an exciting and blessed time.

     
  • At 1:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    The mats look 'cool'. I was intrigued to see several mommies posted comments at 5AM, from someone who likes to sleep until 9 or 10 that seemed awfully early to be up and doing stuff.
    Love, Mother

     
  • At 6:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Lake, I wasn't really up at 5AM. I guess it was 5AM in your time zone, but it was more like 7AM in my time zone. - Still too early for a Saturday, huh? - what was I thinking?

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Us

Contributors:

steveg

yorkiemom


Our Story:

I'm Steve and this is my wife Stefanie. This is our story, mostly seen through my eyes, of the journey to create our family by adopting a child from Russia.

The Great Snowsuit Swap
Donate your old snowsuits or other one time use items to other adoptive parents at:
?
Previous Post
Archives
Powered by

?


Original template design by Isnaini Dot Com
Thoughts

"The two greatest obstacles to democracy in the United States are, first, the widespread delusion among the poor that we have a democracy, and second, the chronic terror among the rich, lest we get it."

Edward Dowling