/* This is where the background behind the title goes */
Currently in Novosibirsk:
Click for Novosibirsk, Russia Forecast
Novosibirsk Webcams
?
?
Our visitors:
Locations of visitors to this page
Just some random thoughts
Sunday, July 08, 2007
Let's jump on that information superhighway.

Sorry, that's so last century. I don't know why they ever coined that stupid phrase to begin with. What was wrong with "Internet". Obviously nothing since that's what we called it before that catchphrase and that's what we call it now.

But I digress.

Not sure if people caught my Mother-in-law's comment about how she was surprised that there were a bunch of comments from people at like 5 AM in the morning. Of course it shows up that way because I have the blog set to my time zone (Pacific) so it lists posts and comments in that zone regardless of which time zone the commentator is from. But it is true that most adoptive parents (myself included) get way into the whole adoption thing. Perhaps a bit too much, certainly I feel I do.

Back to the Internet, I must say all our grandparents-to-be are actually quite up on computers and technology. Of course Stef and I are computer geeks I suppose partially because we've worked at places like Apple, Sun, and Oracle, but I really think it's just because we like that kind of stuff. The nice thing is that all the grandparents are not overwhelmed with some of the techie things we do like blogs, email, digital photos, and so on or even some of things we plan on doing, like video conferencing, etc.

Global Cooling?

Rhonda had some nice advice when I mentioned that I sort of, kind of, maybe didn't mind too much if we did hit a solid Siberian winter because after all we are heading to Russia and shouldn't we really experience what saved the country against countless invaders (just ask Napoleon and Hitler). And having as she puts it "...REALLY warm gloves..." is something that is essential. But that gets me going on another pet peeve.

She mentioned it and Stef keeps are harping about it too and this is...a snowsuit. It ticks me off that we have to get one since it will without question be used only once. There's not too much of a chance for a blizzard to hit San Francisco anytime soon. And by the time we do take a vacation to the mountains the kid will have grown so we'll be buying something new anyway.

But as Stef says (with force may I add) we must have a snowsuit if we pick up the kid between September and April. This is actually from our agency's travel packet, which is a very helpful group of booklets and notes on do's and don'ts, FAQs, and even "Ideas for what to do while you wait" (during the ten day waiting period).

And a snowsuit IS a must. Actually it's more like a bunch of layers underneath and then a snowsuit so that it makes the kid look like a marshmallow.

Why?

Because if you don't the Babushkas will come after you. And one of the things I absolutely want to avoid is having some old woman read me the riot act for not having the kid dressed properly. And from what I hear they do and are vicious in their criticism.

And it's not like I can say, "If you think this is bad you should see how I change their diapers."

Unless I wish to get beaten to death with a sack of potatoes.
posted by Steveg @ 3:27 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At 6:20 PM, Blogger Rachael said…

    Don't upset the Babushkas. ;>

    You can always sell the snowsuit later on ebay -- another good use for the information superhighway.

     
  • At 12:48 AM, Blogger Rhonda said…

    Listen to your wife. The biggest plus (aside from, uh, warmth) is that the Babushkas can't tell if you have your kid layered under a snowsuit and a coat. Its way faster than putting on layers. Ahhh, this post really cracked me up, and it reminded me of those mean old ladies standing on the streets in Russia.

    A serious side note: If you two want - once you have more info on your referral - we can send you guys one. We have TONS of snowsuits (one for home, one for school, etc.) and our kids will outgrow them by next winter. I was just going to donate them. I could probably send you boots too (depending on size). Clyde has already gone through three sizes of those. Just an idea if you decide you don't want to shell out the dollars for new stuff.

     
  • At 5:33 AM, Blogger Dede said…

    There's a thread on FRUA about snowsuit swaps. I plan on doing that if we end up travelling in snowsuit season.

     
  • At 10:20 AM, Blogger Steveg said…

    Those are great suggestions, Rhonda & Dede.

    And Rachael, that's EXACTLY what Stef said.

    :)

    But the whole snowsuit swap is a great idea!!! I actually wouldn't mind setting up a website for that purpose.

    In fact, there are these donation websites where people offer up goods as give-aways.

    Of course, I have no problem spending $50-$80 for one of these things. But it's more the principle that it's never going to be used again. If we lived in Minnesota it would, but we don't and it won't.

     
  • At 9:06 PM, Blogger Cristina Warner said…

    We were reprimanded at least two to three times in the street because inevitably while moving Christian around, his snowsuit would rid up and expose a sliver of skin. It took all my will power to be like, back off lady! Anyway, one thing to consider is buying the snowsuit in Russia. That's what we did. We got the cutest little snowsuit and little red snow boots and now, I have something I can save from Russia for my son that is truly meaningful as we've got so many pictures, videos taking him out of the orphanage in this outfit, etc.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Us

Contributors:

steveg

yorkiemom


Our Story:

I'm Steve and this is my wife Stefanie. This is our story, mostly seen through my eyes, of the journey to create our family by adopting a child from Russia.

The Great Snowsuit Swap
Donate your old snowsuits or other one time use items to other adoptive parents at:
?
Previous Post
Archives
Powered by

?


Original template design by Isnaini Dot Com
Thoughts

"The two greatest obstacles to democracy in the United States are, first, the widespread delusion among the poor that we have a democracy, and second, the chronic terror among the rich, lest we get it."

Edward Dowling