/* This is where the background behind the title goes */
Currently in Novosibirsk:
Click for Novosibirsk, Russia Forecast
Novosibirsk Webcams
?
?
Our visitors:
Locations of visitors to this page
Webcams and Wombats
Thursday, November 01, 2007
I've added a new Novosibirsk webcam that I got from someone on the yahoo group (that's the Novosibirsk Adoption yahoo group). I actually know where this one is and we may try to stand in front of it when we're on trip #2. Once we're there I'll probably post a date and time when Stef and I (and the little guy) will be at the webcam. Just a fun thing to do.

So we continue to scrutinize children's video stuff. We're not going to let our little guy watch TV regularly until he's about 2. But there are a lot of really good programming out there that we may introduce him to and there are a few videos I want to load into iTunes since we're taking our laptop with us. And those may be entertaining for him while we're all camped out in the hotel room (outside temperatures when we travel will probably be in the 10-25 degree range).

One of the better things we've seen are the Wiggles. Although they are terminally happy and get a bit grating to adults (after, oh about 5 minutes) they really have some very good stuff for the toddler crowd, lots of songs to sing and activities (dancing) for them to do. The four man troupe is from Australia and last night we watched a DVD that had a song about four animals: A bear, a kangaroo, a snake, and as the title suggests...a wombat.

Stef and I are pretty open to different people and different things and we don't think people have a right to hate other people just because of what color their skin is or what they believe spiritually or whom they choose to love. I guess that's why we're so bad at being real Americans. But maybe that's also why we liked the Wiggles so much, they just seem to give good messages to kids.

We also are getting some Elmo DVDs and those too (Sesame Street I mean) have very good messages for kids. I remember reading a review on one particular Elmo DVD in which the person railed that there was an image (for about 5 seconds) that showed two men and a baby. She had returned the DVD because of this.

After reading that, I went right out and bought it.
posted by Steveg @ 12:51 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At 6:01 PM, Blogger marsrob said…

    Hi there, Steve!

    My name is Jennifer and I have absolutely NO idea how I located your blog - but I am SO glad that I did. I have been reading through it for a while now - I went all the way back to the beginning and I have been going through lots of emotions with you...even though it is all mostly in the past for you guys now.

    So now I am all caught up and I cannot tell you how happy I am for the two of you! You have been on an arduous journey, to say the least. And your sense of humor and endurance is INCREDIBLE.

    My husband, Marshall and I are in a similar place right now - we are waiting for our Letter of Invitation (LOI) that will give us permission and dates for when we get to go meet our baby girl in Semey, Kazakhstan and bring her home. We are told it may arrive anytime between 1 week and 3 weeks from now - but who knows. We got our referral on Sept 11th - I think that was around the week of your first trip? Amazing. What a week for all of us!
    Anyways, we have a password-protected blog and if you are interested and are not overwhelmed by the millions of blogs - or if you have even an ounce of energy or interest at this point - email me and I'll send you an invite. It is the least I can do, given how I have suddenly found myself so invested in your adoption journey! In our case, we have been trying to become parents for 5 painful, agonizing years - and now that we are so close, it is completely destabalizing in a whole new (wonderful) way. By the way, we are in RI (I am from LA, originally) and I have had 9 years to adjust to cold weather...not easy, but I think I've finally done it! Your purchases are EXACTLY right!
    Anyways, thank you for keeping this blog. I laughed, I cried - it is great to find you. I'll be following your journey for sure!

    - jennylri@yahoo.com (Jennifer)

     
  • At 6:32 PM, Blogger marsrob said…

    By the way (oy, I cannot believe I didn't say this first) - I hope your court date is SOOOO soon and you guys can go pick up and bring home your little one soon!!! You certainly have been incredibly patient!

    Also...my husband just came home from work and I have him reading your blog now too...I told him I found another guy who writes a blog (he and I are both contributors on our blog) - and he'd enjoy your writing! Most of the blogs we have discovered are written by women!

     
  • At 9:35 PM, Blogger Cristina Warner said…

    You have got to check out Yo Gabba Gabba, I love it almost as much as Christian!

     
  • At 5:08 AM, Blogger Jackie said…

    I've been browsing and enjoying your blog for several weeks now and am so happy that you will have your little one home soon. Yayy!! (I will be leaving the day after Thanksgiving to pick up my baby girl in Kyrgyzstan).

    I would be interested in the Wiggles and Elmo DVDs you spoke about in your post.

    Wishing you well as you await travel news.

     
  • At 8:37 AM, Blogger Suz said…

    D just only recently chose to outgrow the Wiggles (and she turns 7 tomorrow!) We've loved the Wiggles.

    Elmo was the first thing she would sit still and watch when she was about 18 months old. The first thing she would stop and watch????? The weather on the news! It just caught her attention right away, even before she was walking.

    We watched Elmo says Boo Wednesday after school even, she still loves Elmo.

    She also liked Dora, Diego and Blues Clues and we liked that she liked them because they really teach alot.

    The first time we really let her sit and watch something was at 15 months old when she had pneumonia and we had to sit still to do breathing treatments, we'd pop in an Elmo video.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Us

Contributors:

steveg

yorkiemom


Our Story:

I'm Steve and this is my wife Stefanie. This is our story, mostly seen through my eyes, of the journey to create our family by adopting a child from Russia.

The Great Snowsuit Swap
Donate your old snowsuits or other one time use items to other adoptive parents at:
?
Previous Post
Archives
Powered by

?


Original template design by Isnaini Dot Com
Thoughts

"The two greatest obstacles to democracy in the United States are, first, the widespread delusion among the poor that we have a democracy, and second, the chronic terror among the rich, lest we get it."

Edward Dowling